Friday, January 25, 2013

I will miss you so much, my great (adoptive) country, USA

I am sitting in bed trying to get some rest and not having much success. Next to me, Cristina has somehow managed to forget about our morning departure to Bangladesh and is sound asleep.

I am begin hit by mixed emotions. 17 years ago, I left my home, wife, friends, family and country and went to an unknown land. It was December 1995 when I landed in New York and made my way to Michigan. The only thing I had going for me was the fact that I was so young.

I always loved America. I loved it even as a child when I had no idea how it looked like. I loved ever since I would hunker down inside of the house with my father listening to the VOA radio station. It was jammed and we could only understand every other word sometime, but yet this was our only window to freedom. I fell in love with the country even more when it welcomed me with open arms, gave me a chance to build a new life. My children were born here, I got my first job here, bought my first car and my first home. I got my second education here and made tons of great friends. I know that it sounds like such a cliché, but this is still the land of opportunities. It is not perfect, but it is still the best place in the world!

I know I will be back and that Bangladesh is going to be only temporary, and yet I still feel sad to leave this country behind.





I will miss you, great country of America!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment