Thursday, October 10, 2013

Almost Bangled up

I am relentlessly continuing my "going local", immersing myself in the local culture.

Latest step, getting a Bangladeshi driver's license! Does it mean anything? Absolutely not, there is no test you are required to pass before obtaining one. Will I ever use it? Nope, the only time I got pulled over because the police did not see the licence plate in the back of the car, they quickly apologized to me as soon as I rolled down the window (I guess that is part of the benefits of being a "shada chamra" (white skin) here). My twelve year old son could drive here with nobody bothering him.

Nevertheless, having a Deshi driver license is pretty cool. I am still thinking whether I want to pull that one out of my wallet should I ever get caught speeding on an US highway:

"Sorry, officer, I am not from around here, coming from Bangladesh and rules are very different around there!" 





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Hope you could use it as a document only to reinforce the belief that you have been Bengalized (whatever that means)...lol! How about getting a Bangladeshi national ID Card that would enable you to vote in ensuing national election of Bangladesh! ...haha Happy (carefree) driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they just showed respect to you as you are foreigner. you don't have an idea how it would be if any accident happened by you if you don't have a driving license and driving a car.

    ReplyDelete