Friday, March 29, 2013

Brother romance (Bro-mance)

One thing that still strikes us in Bangladesh: Men hold hands here all the time. The meaning is completely different then the one we are used to in America. In fact, many Bangladeshis I have talked to don’t believe in homosexuality at all. According to them, it just does not exist. Yet, it’s not uncommon to see a man touching the small of another man’s back here, or resting their hand deep on their friend’s thigh.


My first time I have held hands with a man in Bangladesh, he wanted to have a picture taken with me. We posed for the photo when he grabbed my hand. Instinctively, I flinched and pulled my hand away. But then I turned to him and saw the horror on his face, realizing my mistake. I put my hand back down, let him take it, and then smiled for the camera. 
When in Rome…

And at least, this culture of physical contact between men has provided me with a new hobby; taking pictures of guys in front of me holding hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment