Thursday, July 18, 2013

Becoming Himu

I have wanted to own a Punjabi for a long time. Until recently, I was too embarrassed to buy one and wear it out in public. I feared that by wearing it I would be seen as one of those expats who wears local clothing because they think they can now just blend in. I have always seen the wannabe locals as imitators.

Despite my hesitations, I stuck to my guns and bought an yellow Punjabi from the store that everybody highly recommends here, Aarong. Whoever think that buying a Punjabi is easy, should reconsider. Most of the Bangladeshis are simply not as tall, so fitting a 6'4" Bideshi in one took a solid, painful three hours shopping experience.

Any hesitation I had to wear one was quickly alleviated by the response of Bangladeshis who approach me after seeing what I was wearing. First check was the pair of guards in our building. As I hoped into my car, I got a ‘You are looking great today, boss! Very nice Punjabi’



As I was checking if they were just smiling, and not laughing, I thought how awkward a comment like this would sound in the States. But this Bangladesh, so I needed to go with the culture.

Later, the boy who is walking Oreo looked to me and said:

‘Boss, you look like Himu’,

‘What?’

‘Himu, the boy in the yellow Punjabi’
Turns out Himu is a very popular fictional character created by the most beloved  Bangladeshi writer Humayun Ahmed. His appearance is odd. He always wears a yellow Punjabi and walks barefoot. I have still to meet on Bangladeshi who does not love the character.

So, now I am used to being stopped many times by smiling Bangladeshis who comment on my yellow Punjabi.  If they don’t stop me, they would just smile as I walk by, indicating their approval. Take it that, despite what I thought, they're happy to see the white guy dressed up in local gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment