Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Slumdog Millionaire reloaded

If there is one scene you remember from the "Slumdog Millionaire", it has to be the one when the little boy hears that his favorite Bollywood star is in the area, and he wants an autograph more than anything he wanted in his life. He’s in a toilet cubicle at the time and he can’t get out. He’s so frantic that he eventually dives into the toilet hole and into the sewage pit below to swim out.

Why is the scene stuck in my head? Because I was that boy once since my arrival in Dhaka. Rain is falling hard here during the monsoon season. In a lot of places the sewage system is open, as in when you use the bathroom, the sewage goes out to the street. Just like that, in front of the sidewalk. Nothing beats the smell of Dhaka's sewage.



Anyway, at some point I needed something from the market. Parked my car and began walking. And then it started pouring, the kind of pouring I have only seen here, in the Desh. The roads became brown rivers, in a matter of minutes. All of the garbage along the streets was swept into these raging rivers. Then, it happened. The sewage overflowed, across the sidewalk, into the streets. The streets became sewage in their own right. There was at least a foot or two of water in some places near the market.
I had just finished shopping. Time to go home. I started running back to my ride. Tried to keep the distance from the street, so the spray of the cars would not get me. And then this Nissan Patrol decided that driving 10mph on the flooded street was not fast enough. No, he was going to do 40mph. The spray he created could have rivaled the one done by a professional water skier on a abrupt cut. I was caught completely off guard. All the sewage water soaked me to the skin. I was soaked with garbage, feces, urine, and whatever else was in that water. Good thing I was not smiling. Or at least I hope I wasn't.

I don't ever remember taking a longer shower then the one I took once I finally got home. And I don't remember a vodka tasting so weak either.

No comments:

Post a Comment