Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Soccer, my cure of choice against the Dhaka blues

It is a known fact. All the books on expats say it: When you find yourself in a “challenging duty station” (you have to love the nice way of saying that), you need to find your niche, something to do that makes you feel good.

It could be running, biking, baking, volunteering, golf, you name it…For me, filling my days with things to do is never an issue. I am busy with work, kids and wife, parties, a blog… In fact, if anything, I would need more hours in a day. But I still need something to make me feel good and take me out of the house. Well, here it is again : Soccer.

Yes, there is soccer in Dhaka. A handful of fanatics get together and play during 100 degrees weather. Dust is flying everywhere during the dry season and my saliva has a brownish color when I get home. During the wet season I am being told is getting worse because of the mud that takes over the field. Is a wonder I come out of each game feeling so light on my feet and happy!

So, when feeling the Dhaka blues, crawl out of your space and play soccer!

1 comment:

  1. Where on earth have you found soccer in Dhaka? I have been herefor a month now and am gagging to play but as yet found nowhere! Please e-mail any details um3shpatel@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete