Friday, May 17, 2013

SWW (shopping while white)

Another thing I learned in the Desh is that I should never expect to be  treated like a local. It only took me/us a day to give up any hope on trying to blend in. It would never happen! I can now myself locate a Bideshi (foreigner) from miles away.

There was once a (sad) time in America or in United Kingdom when DWB (driving while black) could have serious consequences. This concept stemmed from a long history of institutional racism.

I now find myself at that end, being singled out. SWW (Shopping while white) in Bangladesh does not land you in jail. It just hits your pocket. Any non-fixed price market shop owner will see only dollar signs written all over you and will try to take advantage of somebody who is assumed enjoys luxurious foreign salaries complete with all sorts of allowances.

By now, I have learned to accept my fate! Regardless of what I do, I will have to pay the unofficial ‘WHITE TAX’. So, is not like "Play that funky music white boy", but a little bit like  "Pay that funky extra white boy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment