Friday, May 3, 2013

Viewers discretion strongly advised!!

Apart from being a traditional delicacy in the Easter dinner, Easter lamb is also a part of religious symbolism. Easter lamb represents Jesus and relates his death to that of the lamb, sacrificed on the first Passover. Christians traditionally refer to Jesus as "the Lamb of God".

That being said, I started my Easter preparations by trying to get a reliable source of meat. One of our local friends suggested slaughtering a lamb. Somebody would just bring it to our apartment alive and everything would be done in front of us.

I know, I know, this is Bangladesh (TIB), but this was still a little bit more then what I was prepared for. The butcher showed up with the lamb on a leash, similar to the way I take Oreo outside for a walk. The lamb was meeehing continuously and at this point I was really close to pardoning it. I almost wanted to reach for my wallet and pay for the lamb just to save the lamb. But the wheels have already gotten in motion, so I decided to go ahead with it. After all, when I was growing up my grandfather would sacrifice a pig or two every Christmas. My job was a very important one, I would be the person in charge with collecting the blood. I would stay really close to my grandfather as he was going for the jugular and make sure I would not miss one drop. Blood was used for the delicious blood sausages and we would not want to waste a drop. I never seen my grandfather angrier then the day when I slipped on the ice and spilled the whole thing. 

Anyway, after so many years spent in the Western worlds I guess, I must have mellowed. I could not stay and watched it, so I just asked the guard to deal with it. 



Ten minutes after work as almost complete. The guy was already skinning it and not longer after meat was in the pots.




Will see how it tastes after Cristina is done cooking it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment