Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Is this winter for sure?

Winter is finally here. Everywhere you turn there are people wrapped in scarves, shawls and winter jackets that seem more fit for an arctic winter.

In fact, the “extreme” cold temperatures are highs in the 70s and lows in the low 50s. I have never been a "polar bear" as I used to call my Canadian friends, but still  this seems like beautiful weather suitable for camping, hiking, and picnics. In Michigan, I looked forward to this kind of weather and it lasted far too short.

Life is different in Bangladesh. The homes are made of concrete, the windows and doors do not have weather stripping and there are no furnaces. The concrete buildings hold on to the nightly cold. The homeless and the people in the shantytowns build fires on the edges of the streets in the evenings and huddle around it smoking and drinking coffee or tea. The smoke indicates that it is trash, not wood.





All right, I get it that life is different here and the people are not equipped to handle the cold. But I can't help laughing at the guards with their heads and necks wrapped in scarfs.

The “bitter” cold temperatures are going to last for a few more days and will go back to the 80s next week. I will for sure enjoy this "cold" and miss it when it is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment