Sunday, January 19, 2014

The first encounter with pet care in Dhaka

I had to take my Oreo pup to a vet in the mega city of Dhaka. The expat's choices here, in a city of sixteen million people?

Number 1. Doctor Hossain. This is a guy that first came to our house to groom our pooch. A friend of mine had a really bad experience with him. After getting the money to perform a blood test, he would not produce a lab report. The Embassy had to call and threaten with a police investigation for him to come up with a piece of paper that turned out to be fake.

Number 2. Doctor Siamak (an Iranian expat). I talked to him when I was looking to test a cow before sacrifcing it. Lots of experience with large animals, mixed reviews with dogs. He operated on one of our friend's dog and had to come back almost an year after to adress an infection caused by the "disolvable" stiches he put in (came to find out, there are no such thing as disolvable when it comes to dogs).

Number 3. Doctor Azmat. He treated Oreo's girlfriend last month, with positive reviews.

So, I decided to go with Doctor Azmat, at Gulshan Pet Animal Clinic.



This is the entrance to Doctor Azmat's clinic



Sheep outside ready to be sacrificed


The pet clinic


A kitty having some sort of an enema performed by two technicians


Oreo on the operating table after the shot (not sure if the paper was current edition)

From one the clasic pieces of Romanian literature I studied in school I still remember this hilarious part:

"Our industry is admirable, is sublime, but it is completely non-existent!"

This is exactly how I felt today relative to the pet care here. I am praying really hard Oreo stays healthy during our Dhaka stay.

3 comments:

  1. Hello.. I need to take my Cat to a Vet..is Gulshan Pet Animal Clinic is an OK place...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only other option is http://obhoyaronno-bd.org/ in 780/24 Boshila Road (right before Boshila bridge). Mohammadpur, Dhaka. Though they do not provide all services, so you would need to call first. Pet care in Bangladesh (aside from farm animals) is more than likely a newer concept and many things until the last 5-10 years were difficult to get in Bangladesh. If you are looking for a clinic like one you would find in the U.S., it's just not likely here at the present. The Gulshan clinic has been there for a long time and more than likely the market grew around it. It is what it is in Bangladesh. Overall, it looks maintained for the area it is in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I need my male guinea pig neutered soon in Dhaka. Is this Dr. reliable to do this? Alo I've heard about a US embassy enlisted vet in Gulshan DCC Matket. Do u have any idea that to whom I should go?

    ReplyDelete